Pearl River County Library System was established in October of 1974. PRCLS is a one county library system consisting of two existing city libraries that have contracted with the Pearl River County Board of Supervisors to provide library services to the county at large.
PRCLS is governed by a ten-member Board of Trustees, five of whom are appointed by the Board of Supervisors (one per Supervisor to represent each district of the county.) Four members of the Board of Trustees are appointed by the Picayune City Council and one member is appointed by the Poplarville Board of Aldermen. This Board of Trustees makes policy for the libraries, hires the Director, and is responsible for budget decisions.
Direct funding is provided through a variety of sources: from the Pearl River County Board of Supervisors from the general fund; the City of Picayune millage; the City of Poplarville general fund; state and federal grants administered through the Mississippi Library Commission; bank interest, revenues generated by rent for the meeting room, photocopying, overdue fines; and through other grants obtained by the library system. Indirect support is provided by the Friends of the Margaret Reed Crosby Memorial Library and the Friends of the Poplarville Public Library.
The physical facilities of PRCLS include two buildings located in the cities of Picayune and Poplarville. The Margaret Reed Crosby Memorial Library and Cultural Center in Picayune, MS was built in 1963 and opened in February of 1964. This building and its furnishings were provided by the Crosby Family in honor of their grandmother, Mrs. L.O. Crosby, sr. The original building of 11,000 sq. ft. was renovated in 1983-84 and enlarged to 13,000 sq. ft. It serves as the headquarters of the Pearl River County Library System.
The Poplarville Public Library was constructed in 1981 and enclosed 5,000 sq. ft. Both cities had long established public libraries that were moved into these new facilities. Picayune Public Library was established in 1928-29 and Poplarville Public Library was established in the 1940’s.